December 9, 2010

no before...just the after..the kids room

The "joy" of undertaking a major home renovation/rebuild, is the finishing touches, the simple things like drywall, paint and decor, wait and wait and waaaaait to be done. By the time you get to that point, you're done! So it is no surprise E and T have lived in their raw bedroom for two years, awaiting the "finishing touches". I forgot to document the true "before", but you can imagine... 

Step 1: paint walls, a lovely, soft, grey blue...hmmmm...


Wow! It is amazing what a little paint and trim can do! Here is the room...done...finally!!! Next decorate!!!



I had a real challenge with this room, as it is shared by my daughter and son. Not only were they very specific about colours, none of which were complementary, but style too: very gender stereotypical. How to make a room gender neutral? How to ensure it's not too young, my daughter is 7 going on 17 (not quite, thank goodness) How to make a room that is still FUN!?! Oh, and did I mention I live in a small mountain town with a very small selection of fabric choice. 

I lucked out when I found this great Michael Milller fabric featuring assorted animals in a camping setting...adorable! Fun, huh?! The room just jumped off from here.


I decided to create a little private space in our window seat for the kids, by simply hanging the curtains I made, in front of the window seat, instead of traditionally against the window. E loves to curl up here with her umpteen cushions and read her favourite book. Girl after my own heart! T, however, loves to use the space as a fort...watch out! 
BTW the cushions are all thrifted and given new life with new covers. Did you note the pillow cover made of a pair of E's old jeans...tutorial opportunity? hmm...


(I apologise for the quality of these pics...the light is not that great on a wintery day like today!)


I also had the inspiration to provide a place for the kids to have their books and precious things beside their beds without introducing shelves on which to hit their heads. I mounted to the wall above their heads, a pair of double curtain rod holders, you know, the kind for accommodating two layers: drapes and sheers. I cut each leg from an old pair of jeans in my stash, cut down the inseam and simply added pockets in the back along the length of the inseam, for a length of dowel to travel through. Hung up on the curtain rod holders (is there a technical name for those?) the jeans leg creates a perfect pocket for books and such. Simple!


...and done! 

Well almost...

 I have an idea to create pop art canvases from photos of the kids, to add a little more zest and personality to the room. 
Tutorial to follow soon.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

The kids must love their new digs! Have they kept it that clean & tidy? One question....,where is all their 'stuff'? Clothes/toys etc? I can't believe you MADE doona covers, pillow slips & all the rest. Too clever. I love your new blog!!!

Jacqueline said...

Thanks...they do love it. And it stays tidy...for the most part, due to dedicated storage. I have two wheeled boxes under the bed for their arts, crafts and toys that collect upstairs. The majority of their toys are still downstairs in the playroom. Their books used be on a bookshelf in their room, but now reside in a family bookshelf at the end of the hall. I didn't take a picture of their clothes storage as it's not complete. S is building "built-ins" in their closet. Their small things, like UDs are in the red chest of drawers you see in the picture. It's working so far!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love it and glad to see Tas mouse pride of place (sorry forgotton his name) finally managed to get a feed to you blog so hoping to keep up to date with all your projects