February 5, 2011

sleepovers and whipped cream...mmmm!

Last night my children both had sleepovers.
Easton went to her friend's 8th birthday sleepover party. Seven x 8 year olds...can you imagine?!?! I suggested Tasman invite a friend (x 1!) for a sleepover here at our house...much more my style...heheh.

Don't you remember how much you loved sleepovers as a child? Our house was always open for large groups of giggling, squealing nocturnal tweens throughout my childhood. I think 12 was the record...my mum was brave!

...sigh...(cue music, good ole Barb)...memories...
I don't remember my sleepovers being this dreamy. Nice to think they were though.
...sigh...

source

Breakfast was always a big deal at my sleepovers, second of course to the late night candy feast. This morning I pulled out an 'old favourite' for the boys.
Who's kidding...it was for me too.
I say...ANY breakfast that involves whipped cream is a winner in my books! 
Agree?
Try my adaptation this recipe I found over at Made.
Deeee-lish!

Dee-lish Baked Pumpkin French Toast

1 loaf french bread

2 1/2 cups milk
1 Tbl flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbl sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove

1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
1/4 tsp salt
4 large eggs

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup butter

2 Tbl sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
 --------------------------------------------------


Cut the bread loaf into thick slices, about 1 1/2" thick. Set aside.



Whisk together the first set of ingredients. Don't worry if it's a little lumpy.
 Sometimes I throw everything in a tupperware, pop on the lid and shake...great way to cook with children...less mess and fun too!


Over medium heat, add the next set of ingredients to your fav saucepan. Cook until bubbly. Pour this caramel sauce into a greased pan: 9X 13" will do.


Pop your thick bread slices in to the pan, 1 layer thick. Don't worry, you can really squish them in there.


Pour the egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon if desired...I always do!


Cover and refridgerate overnight. It really does work best if you can prepare this dish the night before and let it soak...totally worth it!


Next morning, pop your prepared french toast into your oven, preheated to 375C. After an hour pull out the pan and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving




Whipped cream and fresh fruit, of course.
Wow!! Sooooo good! 


Simple.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummo. why oh why do you post this on day 1 of my diet?? You are an evil woman!

marla said...

oh, I remember seeing that recipe on the blog...so want to try it some time!